The vocal cords vibrate from exhaled air to produce noise and voice. Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD), also known as Paradoxical Vocal Cord Motion (PVCM), is a result of abnormal closing of the vocal cords, unlike asthma, which results from inflammation of the airways. Because the symptoms of VCD and asthma are similar, VCD is often mistaken for asthma.
As the leading respiratory hospital in the nation, National Jewish Health for Kids in Denver, Colorado, offers programs to treat your child’s VCD. Our long-standing specialization in respiratory diseases has been instrumental to our success in treating VCD. Our multidisciplinary team works together to develop a customized treatment program for your child.
Our doctors are researchers too, and are continuing to discover more about VCD, so your child will have access to the latest clinical trials and most effective treatments.
Our comprehensive program offers many services for you and your child:
- The latest in clinical trials
- Novel and advanced VCD testing
- A therapy plan customized for your child
- Comprehensive speech therapy
- In-depth, one-on-one teaching, including training in self-care
- Continued follow-up to treat your child’s changing needs
Condition InformationVocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD)
Programs & ServicesVocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD) Treatment Programs
- Day Program (Pediatric)
- Division of Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
- EILO/VCD Program
- Exercise & Performance Breathing Center
- Outpatient Clinic (Pediatric)
- Pulmonary Diagnostic Center (Pediatric)
- Rehabilitation Services (Pediatric)
- Respiratory Treatment Programs
- Speech Language Pathology
Ronina A. Covar, MD
J. Tod Olin, MD, MSCS
Our Patient Education Program at National Jewish Health provides many free educational opportunities and support groups to assist patients and caregivers with managing illnesses and chronic conditions.
Download Free Patient Education Materials
There are a number of written materials to support patient education at National Jewish Health. They include Understanding Booklets, Med Facts, Test Facts, Medication handouts and more.
Reasons to Choose National Jewish Health
- The leading respiratory hospital in the nation and the only one devoted fully to the treatment of respiratory and related illnesses
- Ranked #1 or #2 in Pulmonology by U.S. News & World Report for 26 consecutive years
- Ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in the nation by HCAHPS
- Physicians consistently recognized among the best in the nation by multiple services, including Best Doctors in America and Castle Connolly
- Among the top 6% of organizations funded for research by the NIH, providing patients access to hundreds of active clinical trials
- 124-year history of focus on care, research and education serving patients from around the world with lung, heart, immune and related disorders
Make an Appointment
Many patients who come to National Jewish Health are trying to find answers to ongoing health issues. Our doctors use advanced testing to accurately diagnose our patients’ conditions and determine the best treatment plan.