Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) describes a group of diseases where airflow in the lungs is limited. COPD is a progressive lung disease and affects millions of people each year. The most familiar diseases in this group are emphysema and chronic bronchitis. A person with COPD may have emphysema or chronic bronchitis; many have both.
If you or a loved one has COPD, National Jewish Health in Denver, Colorado, has the experts you need. Designated as a COPD high performing hospital for 2022-23 by U.S. News & World Report, National Jewish Health also continues to be a top hospital for pulmonary care. Our multidisciplinary team of respiratory specialists will create an individualized plan of care, based on your specific needs.
Our doctors are researchers too, so you will have access to the latest COPD clinical trials and most effective treatments.
Our COPD Program provides:
- Advanced diagnostic testing and treatment options for COPD
- Surgical options for COPD patients
- Specialized pulmonary and physical rehabilitation programs
- Personalized education and group classes
Our goal is to help you manage your COPD and to live a full and active life.
Condition InformationCOPD Overview
Programs & ServicesCOPD Program
Ron Balkissoon, MD, MSc, DIH, FRCPC
David A. Beuther, MD, PhD, FCCP
Russell P. Bowler, MD, PhD
Gregory P. Downey, MD
James H. Finigan, MD
Kristen Glisinski, MD
Steven E. Lommatzsch, MD
Vipin Malik, MD
Laurie A. Manka, MD
James K. O'Brien, MD, FACP, FCCP
Irina Petrache, MD
Katherine Rosen, RN, MSN, ANP-C
Howard Saft, MD, MS
Michael D. Schwartz, MD, FCCM
Elaine M. K. Schwartz, MD, FCCP
Jennifer Sederberg, NP
Evan L. Stepp, MD
Ellen Volker, MD, MSPH
Michael E. Wechsler, MD, MMSc
James Woodrow, MD
Our Patient Education Program at National Jewish Health provides many free educational opportunities and support groups to assist patients and caregivers with managing illnesses and chronic conditions.
Download Free Patient Education Materials
There are a number of written materials to support patient education at National Jewish Health. They include Understanding Booklets, Med Facts, Test Facts, Medication handouts and more.
Reasons to Choose National Jewish Health
- The leading respiratory hospital in the nation and the only one devoted fully to the treatment of respiratory and related illnesses
- Ranked #1 or #2 in Pulmonology by U.S. News & World Report for 26 consecutive years
- Ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in the nation by HCAHPS
- Physicians consistently recognized among the best in the nation by multiple services, including Best Doctors in America and Castle Connolly
- Among the top 6% of organizations funded for research by the NIH, providing patients access to hundreds of active clinical trials
- 124-year history of focus on care, research and education serving patients from around the world with lung, heart, immune and related disorders
Make an Appointment
Many patients who come to National Jewish Health are trying to find answers to ongoing health issues. Our doctors use advanced testing to accurately diagnose our patients’ conditions and determine the best treatment plan.
Patients come here from around the world to receive treatment they can’t find anywhere else.