The COPD Program offers comprehensive, personalized care for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) including emphysema and chronic bronchitis. As the region's only full-service program, our goal is to help patients manage their disease effectively and to live full and active lives.
The COPD Program offers:
- Unique, collaborative approach proven to enhance quality of life.
- Personalized care plan and individualized take-home binder for every patient.
- Cutting edge diagnostic testing and latest treatments for COPD.
- Nutritional counseling.
- Specialized pulmonary and physical rehabilitation programs.
- Personalized education and group classes.
- Evaluation for potential lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) and lung transplant.
Dedicated Team of COPD Experts
People with COPD can lead active and full lives. We are here to partner with you to manage your lung disease in the best way possible.
The COPD program team of specialists are dedicated to the goal of helping people with COPD "take charge" of their breathing and control their lives.
At each visit, you will meet with physicians, who are experts in the field of COPD. A comprehensive personal COPD plan will be created. This plan will help you manage your COPD, with a focus on maximizing your respiratory health through education, rehabilitation, nutrition and medications. We will consider any other medical conditions or special needs you may have, and you will have appointments with other healthcare professionals. They will address medical and lifestyle issues that impact your quality of life.
Personalized COPD Profile
Once admitted to the program, you will be provided with a personalized COPD profile. This is a place for you to keep your Personal COPD Plan for managing your lung disease. You will also receive plans to help you care for your medications, for your rehabilitation program, and any other individualized information that will help you feel your best. This profile is also a place for you to keep other educational materials you collect during your visit to National Jewish Health.
If you are interested in referring a patient and would like to learn how our COPD Program can be a valuable resource, please visit our page on physician resources for the effective management of COPD in your patients.
Russell P. Bowler, MD, PhD
James D. Crapo, MD
James H. Finigan, MD
Anthony N. Gerber, MD, PhD
Nir M. Goldstein, MD, FCCP
Ann Granchelli, MD
William J. Janssen, MD
Steven E. Lommatzsch, MD
Michelle MacDonald, MS, RDN, CDE
Barry J. Make, MD
James K. O'Brien, MD, FACP, FCCP
Irina Petrache, MD
Katherine Rosen, RN, MSN, ANP-C
Robert A. Sandhaus, MD, PhD, FCCP
Jennifer Sederberg, NP
James Woodrow, MD
- Biomarkers & Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis Progression
- COPD Patient Knowledge
- Creating Asthma Measurements through the MORRE Study
- Healthy Adults Needed for Beryllium Disease Study
- Identifying Characteristics and Patterns of Asthma
- Investigational Gene Therapy for Adults with CF
- Lung Injury from Military Deployment
- Mineral Dust & Lung Disease
- New Trial Medication for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Potential New Treatment for Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency
- PrecISE Severe Asthma Interventions
- Predict and Prevent Lung Disease
- Predicting ILD from Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Pulmonary Fibrosis & Genetic Factors
- REGAIN Study to Understand Asthma
- Skin, Airway & Esophageal Epithelial Barriers in Youth
Reasons to Choose National Jewish Health
- The leading respiratory hospital in the nation and the only one devoted fully to the treatment of respiratory and related illnesses
- Ranked #1 or #2 in Pulmonology by U.S. News & World Report for 26 consecutive years
- Ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in the nation by HCAHPS
- Physicians consistently recognized among the best in the nation by multiple services, including Best Doctors in America and Castle Connolly
- Among the top 6% of organizations funded for research by the NIH, providing patients access to hundreds of active clinical trials
- 124-year history of focus on care, research and education serving patients from around the world with lung, heart, immune and related disorders