Do you, your family member, your teammate, or your child have trouble breathing when exercising, or even when playing? “Exercise intolerance,” meaning trouble with everyday exercise could be the culprit.
The National Jewish Health Exercise & Performance Breathing Center in Denver, Colorado, is the premier center for evaluating and curing breathing and heart problems during exercise. Patients travel from across the country for diagnosis and treatment of exercise-induced laryngeal obstruction (also known as vocal cord dysfunction or paradoxical vocal fold motion), exercise-induced asthma, and other heart and lung conditions. Additionally, we take care of athletes at any level, ranging from children to Olympians to adults looking to exercise for enjoyment and health. Our multidisciplinary team of doctors and therapists will identify and treat medical barriers to exercise.
At National Jewish Health you’ll find:
Care providers that partner with patients to develop innovative and individualized plans for the short and long-term
A state-of-the-art exercise lab, with access to treadmills, exercise cycles, and a swimming pool
Diagnostic tests and treatment therapies available nowhere else in the world that allow us to see the upper airway during intense exercise, the heart during intense exercise, and train patients to manage vocal cord dysfunction, asthma, and other conditions
Thoughtful discussion and evaluation that is not rushed
Our goal is to enable you, your family member, your teammate, or your child to exercise without breathing problems.
Our doctors are researchers too, so your child will have access to the latest pediatric exercise tolerance clinical trials and most effective treatments.
Learn more about our Exercise & Performance Breathing Center.
Contact us for more information at Exercise@NJHealth.org.
Condition InformationVocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD)
Programs & Services
Elizabeth M. Fan, PA-C
Marjorie Patricia George, MD
Darlene Kim, MD, FACC
J. Tod Olin, MD, MSCS
Our Patient Education Program at National Jewish Health provides many free educational opportunities and support groups to assist patients and caregivers with managing illnesses and chronic conditions.
Download Free Patient Education Materials
There are a number of written materials to support patient education at National Jewish Health. They include Understanding Booklets, Med Facts, Test Facts, Medication handouts and more.
Reasons to Choose National Jewish Health
- The leading respiratory hospital in the nation and the only one devoted fully to the treatment of respiratory and related illnesses
- Ranked #1 or #2 in Pulmonology by U.S. News & World Report for 26 consecutive years
- Ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in the nation by HCAHPS
- Physicians consistently recognized among the best in the nation by multiple services, including Best Doctors in America and Castle Connolly
- Among the top 6% of organizations funded for research by the NIH, providing patients access to hundreds of active clinical trials
- 124-year history of focus on care, research and education serving patients from around the world with lung, heart, immune and related disorders
Make an Appointment
Many patients who come to National Jewish Health are trying to find answers to ongoing health issues. Our doctors use advanced testing to accurately diagnose our patients’ conditions and determine the best treatment plan.