National Jewish Health has a 100-year history of caring for patients with tuberculosis (TB). Over the decades we have been committed to not only caring for patients with TB but also to the scientific discovery of new drugs used to treat this disease. We are also actively involved in scientific research involving the transmission and basic biology of this organism.
Our facility is the premier facility in the United States dedicated to the treatment of patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) and those with drug-sensitive TB who are experiencing complications with therapy. We have a comprehensive treatment facility, which includes a multidisciplinary approach to disease management. Our mycobacteriology lab and pharmacokinetics laboratory assist our clinical management team in choosing appropriate antibiotics and managing dosing regimens to minimize drug side-effects and toxicity which are common with the drugs used in MDR-TB cases.
Many patients with TB or MDR-TB also require surgical resection and this is performed at our sister institution, University of Colorado Denver. Dr. John Mitchell head up our surgical team of experts if surgical intervention is necessary.
Referrals and Consultations
If you would like to refer a patient to National Jewish Health for treatment of TB, you may request a consult or refer a patient online using the Mycobacterial Referral/Consult form. Consultation is available for healthcare professionals only.
- Infectious Diseases Inpatient and Extended Outpatient Program
- Division of Mycobacterial and Respiratory Infections
- Clinical Nutrition Services
Jared J. Eddy, MD
David E. Griffith, MD
Michelle Haas, MD
Reasons to Choose National Jewish Health
- The leading respiratory hospital in the nation and the only one devoted fully to the treatment of respiratory and related illnesses
- Ranked #1 or #2 in Pulmonology by U.S. News & World Report for 26 consecutive years
- Ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in the nation by HCAHPS
- Physicians consistently recognized among the best in the nation by multiple services, including Best Doctors in America and Castle Connolly
- Among the top 6% of organizations funded for research by the NIH, providing patients access to hundreds of active clinical trials
- 124-year history of focus on care, research and education serving patients from around the world with lung, heart, immune and related disorders