Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is one of more than 130 types of interstitial lung disease (ILD). It is described by scarring (fibrosis) of the lungs. The word “idiopathic” means “of unknown cause.”
National Jewish Health is the leading hospital in the nation. We treat hundreds of people with IPF and other types of pulmonary fibrosis each year. Our expertise is recognized by the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation (PFF). It has designated National Jewish Health as a PFF Care Center.
National Jewish Health also is a Specialized Center of ILD Research for the National Institutes of Health. This center conducts IPF research, so you have access to the latest clinical trials and most effective treatments.
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Care
At National Jewish Health, you’ll find:
- The latest clinical trials
- Newest treatment options
- Individualized care
- A team of different specialists working together to care for you
- Radiologists with special expertise in IPF
- The ability to diagnose IPF early and correctly
- State-of-the-art pulmonary testing and treatments
- Comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation services
- Support groups
Condition InformationIdiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) Overview
Programs & ServicesInterstitial Lung Disease (ILD) Program
Joseph Cooley, DO
David M. Ferraro, MD
Cori Fratelli, MSN, FNP-C, RN
Hoang Nguyen, PT, DPT
Allison Zangle, PT, DPT
Our Patient Education Program at National Jewish Health provides many free educational opportunities and support groups to assist patients and caregivers with managing illnesses and chronic conditions.
Download Free Patient Education Materials
There are a number of written materials to support patient education at National Jewish Health. They include Understanding Booklets, Med Facts, Test Facts, Medication handouts and more.
Reasons to Choose National Jewish Health
- The leading respiratory hospital in the nation and the only one devoted fully to the treatment of respiratory and related illnesses
- Ranked #1 or #2 in Pulmonology by U.S. News & World Report for 26 consecutive years
- Ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in the nation by HCAHPS
- Physicians consistently recognized among the best in the nation by multiple services, including Best Doctors in America and Castle Connolly
- Among the top 6% of organizations funded for research by the NIH, providing patients access to hundreds of active clinical trials
- 124-year history of focus on care, research and education serving patients from around the world with lung, heart, immune and related disorders
Make an Appointment
Many patients who come to National Jewish Health are trying to find answers to ongoing health issues. Our doctors use advanced testing to accurately diagnose our patients’ conditions and determine the best treatment plan.
Living with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
Patients come here from around the world to receive treatment they can’t find anywhere else.