Diagnosing Metal Hypersensitivity: Lymphocyte Proliferation Testing
Metal hypersensitivity is a cell-mediated immune response that can lead to various diseases, including the granulomatous lung disease called Chronic Beryllium Disease. Hypersensitivity to metals also is increasingly recognized as one of the causes of joint replacement failure.
More Than Two Decades of Experience
National Jewish Health® Advanced Diagnostic Laboratories has more than two decades of experience in developing and performing Lymphocyte Proliferation Tests (LPT) to measure cell-mediated immune response to metals.
Developed the first diagnostic blood test for beryllium sensitization called the Beryllium Lymphocyte Proliferation Test (BeLPT) in the 1990s
Performs more than 12,000 BeLPTs annually and is the leading beryllium sensitization testing laboratory in the United States
Introduced a nickel lymphocyte proliferation test (NiLPT) to detect nickel sensitization in 2012
Our hypersensitivity assays are developed collaboratively with National Jewish Health physicians, supported by research publications and performed in our CLIA-certified lab.
Lymphocyte Proliferation Test: Marker of Antigen Specific T cell Reaction
The lymphocyte proliferation test (LPT) is an in vitro test that measures the antigen-specific T cell response to a suspected antigen or metal in culture. LPTs can be performed alone or in conjunction with skin patch testing to demonstrate allergic or hypersensitivity responses.
Metal Hypersensitivity Diagnostic Tests
Metal Hypersensitivity Testing Services
- Custom lymphocyte proliferation assay development and validation
Reasons to Choose National Jewish Health
- The leading respiratory hospital in the nation and the only one devoted fully to the treatment of respiratory and related illnesses
- Ranked #1 or #2 in Pulmonology by U.S. News & World Report for 26 consecutive years
- Ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in the nation by HCAHPS
- Physicians consistently recognized among the best in the nation by multiple services, including Best Doctors in America and Castle Connolly
- Among the top 6% of organizations funded for research by the NIH, providing patients access to hundreds of active clinical trials
- 124-year history of focus on care, research and education serving patients from around the world with lung, heart, immune and related disorders