Sloppy Bean Burger
Spice up your summer barbecue with a healthy, meatless sloppy bean burger, made with baked beans, fresh vegetables, and savory spices.
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups baked beans
- 2 cups tomatoes, canned
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 each whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1/2 pound red onion, cut into strips
Sauté onions, peppers and garlic in oil until tender, but not soft. Add remaining ingredients to pan with vegetables. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. Ladle bean mixture over hamburger buns, add sliced red onions.
This information has been approved by Clinical Nutrition Services (June 2011). For specific diet information tailored to your needs, we recommend you consult with one of our registered dietitians.