Start a liquid (no solid foods) diet from the moment of waking up on the day before the procedure.
Clear Liquid Diet
- Gatorade, fruit juice (no citrus), soda, popsicles without fruit or cream, gelatin without fruit, broth without fat, coffee, and tea
- No solid food
- No red, orange, or purple colored liquids
- No dairy
Take the Medications
- Take four (4) Bisacodyl tablets (5mg each) at 4pm the night before the procedure. These can be purchased at any pharmacy.
- Shortly before 6pm, make the “punch”
- Add One (1) 238 gram bottle of Miralax to 64 oz. of Gatorade in a 1 gallon pitcher. Add ice to fill the pitcher. Allow to sit for 5 minutes and stir occasionally to ensure the Miralax dissolves. You may use the generic alternative of Miralax.
- At 6pm start drinking 8oz (1 glass) of the “Punch” every 20 minutes until HALF of the pitcher is empty.
- Refrigerate the remaining punch overnight.
- 6 Hours prior to your procedure, stir the remaining “Punch” and drink 8oz (1 glass) every 20 minutes until the pitcher is completely empty.
Do not eat or drink (not even water) anything 4 hours prior to your procedure.
- Be sure to inform your doctors and nurses about any diabetic medications and/or blood thinners you take.
- Take all medications for high blood pressure, heart conditions, or seizure disorder with water 4 hours prior to your procedure. This will be the last liquid you should have.
- Bring rescue inhalers, asthma inhalers, diabetic medications, glucose monitor, and CPAP or BiPap machine with you to the procedure.
- Please be sure to have a ride arranged and with you to take you home after the procedure. If you do not have a ride with you, your procedure may be canceled.
Please call 303.398.1355 option #4, if you have any questions or need to reschedule.
This information has been approved by Jeffrey King, MD (February 2015).