Many medications are available as inhaled treatments. Inhaled methods deliver medication directly to the airway, which is helpful for lung diseases. The patient and healthcare provider can choose from a variety of delivery systems for inhaling medication.
An Aerolizer® consists of a plastic device to inhale medication. A capsule of powdered medication is placed in the device. The Aerolizer® is breath activated. This means when you inhale, the Aerolizer® automatically releases the medication. When inhaled correctly, the medication has a better chance to reach the small airways. This increases the medication's effectiveness. The portable size, efficiency and convenience make the Aerolizer® a desirable method for inhalation treatment.
The following steps outline the best method to use an Aerolizer®.
How to Assemble the Aerolizer®
- Each capsule for the Aerolizer® is individually wrapped. When you are ready to use the capsule, take the capsule out of the wrapper. To do this, peel back the corner of the wrapper until you see the capsule.
- Take the lid off the Aerolizer®.
- Twist the top of the Aerolizer® to open it.
- Place the capsule in the hole in the center of the Aerolizer®.
- Twist to close the top of the Aerolizer®.
Taking an Inhaled Treatment
- Hold the Aerolizer® with the mouthpiece up. Press the buttons on the sides of the Aerolizer® once firmly. This will pierce the capsule, so you can inhale the medication when you breathe in.
- Hold the Aerolizer® away from your mouth and gently breathe out. Do not blow into the Aerolizer®.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece.
- Inhale rapidly and deeply. Continue to take a full, deep breath.
- Resume normal breathing.
- You can repeat steps 2 to 5 again to make sure you inhale the medication.
- Twist the top of the Aerolizer® to open. Throw away the used capsule.
- Place the lid back on the Aerolizer® when not in use. This will help keep the Aerolizer® clean and dry.
This information has been reviewed and approved by Ann Mullen, RN, CNS, MSN, AE-C (December 2014)