To accurately create the records necessary for state reporting, we recognized the need for a quality assurance feedback loop with the oncology providers.
- The system records any quality assurance issues discovered when loading data and when preparing data for reporting to the state.
- Current issues are provided to the oncology team on a scheduled basis in the form of a Quality Assurance Report.
- These Quality Assurance Reports are reviewed by the oncology team.
- The oncology team ensures corrections are made in the EMR where necessary – this is done outside of the Cancer Registry system.
- The oncology team records the resolutions and optional comments for as many issues as they desire. The resolutions and comments are entered into the Cancer Registry system.
- Upon the next load or attempt to prepare data for the state, the system records any issues that have been corrected as complete.
- All issues are recorded in a QA Issue table and contain the following data:
- IssueID – a unique identifier that is assigned incrementally by the system
- PatientID – the EMR identifier of the patient the issue is associated with
- IssueTypeCode – for Report 1
- IssueRecordedDt – the current date/time when the issue was recorded by the system
Report 1 lists patients that may be state-reportable and asks the oncologists if they are. Report 2 documents those patients in the Cancer Registry that are missing a diagnosis date. Report 3 allows the oncologists to specify a patient type (which leads to a Class of Case mapping) for each patient. Report 4 functions as an extract readiness check and details any missing or potentially incorrect data.