Summary: Love Your Recipes: Healthier Ingredient Substitutes
Try these substitutions to cut down on calories, fat, cholesterol and sodium while keeping the flavor in your favorite recipes.
Fat & Cholesterol
- Butter, margarine, shortening or oil in baked good can be substituted at a 1:3/4 ratio with a healthy oil such as canola, corn, olive, sunflower or any non-tropical oil. Applesauce or prune puree for half of the called-for butter or shortening.
- Cooking spray or nonstick pans can be substituted for butter, margarine, shortening or oil to prevent sticking.
- Instead of full eggs, try 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute for each whole egg.
- Evaporated milk can be substituted in a 1:1 ratio with evaporated skim milk.
- Substitute fat free or low-fat cream cheese or low fat cottage cheese (pureed until smooth) for regular cream cheese in a 1:1 ratio.
- Sour cream can be substituted at a 1:1 ration with fat-free plain yogurt, or fat free/low-fat sour cream.
- Try plain yogurt as a substitute for mayonnaise in a 1:1 ratio.
- Substituting table salt in a 1:1 ratio with other spices such as cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Reduce amount of sugar used in recipe by 1/2.
- Instead of canned fruit in heavy syrup, at a 1:1 ratio, use fresh fruit or canned fruit in its own juices or water.
- Fruit-flavored yogurt can be substituted for plain yogurt in a 1:1 ratio
- Substitute wheat flour for white flour in a 1:1/2 ratio.
- Oatmeal or bran cereal can be used in place of bread crumbs at a 1:1 ratio.
- Use wheat bread or whole grain bread at a 1:1 ratio instead of white bread.
More Information on Healthy Nutrition