Many medications are available as inhaled treatments. Inhaled methods deliver medication directly to the airway, which is helpful for lung diseases. The patient and health care provider can choose from a variety of delivery systems for inhaling medication.
A Diskus® consists of a plastic device containing powdered medication. A Diskus® is breath activated. This means when you inhale, the Diskus automatically releases the medication. When inhaled correctly, the medication has a better chance to reach the small airways. This increases the medication's effectiveness. The portable size, efficiency and convenience make the Diskus® a desirable method for inhalation treatment.
The following steps outline the best method to use a Diskus®.
Take the diskus out of the foil wrapper. Check the foil pouch to see when the diskus must be used. Depending on the medicine in the device the Diskus® must be used within four to six weeks of opening the foil wrapper.
1. Hold the Diskus® level with one hand.
2. Place the thumb of the other hand on the thumb grip.
3. Push your thumb away from you until the Diskus® clicks. This will open the Diskus® so you can see the mouthpiece.
4. Hold the Diskus® level and slide the lever away from you until the Diskus® clicks. This will load the medication. Keep the Diskus® level so you don’t lose the medication.
5. Hold the Diskus® level and away from your mouth and gently breathe out. Never exhale into the Diskus®.
6. Seal your lips around the mouthpiece.
7. Inhale rapidly and deeply. Continue to take a full, deep breath.
8. Hold your breath for up to ten seconds. This allows the medication time to deposit in the airways.
9. Resume normal breathing.
11. If the medicine you are taking is Advair Diskus®, rinse your mouth after using the Diskus®.
If the mouthpiece is dirty, wipe it with a cloth. Do hot put the Diskus® in water. Keep the Diskus® closed when not in use.
Visit our website for more information about support groups, clinical trials and lifestyle information.
PTE.093 © Copyright 1998, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2014