Patency Test with Agile™ Patency Capsule
This test allows the doctor to determine if an object the size of the agile capsule can pass through your intestine. If the capsule leaves your small intestine before it dissolves, this confirms that your intestine is passable for an object the size of the capsule. If the capsule is still inside your small intestine after 24-30 hours, it will dissolve into smaller pieces and pass through your colon. You will have an abdominal X-ray done close to 24 hours after you swallow the capsule to test whether the capsule is still in your small intestine.
If the agile capsule passes through your intestines, the Pillcam capsule is also likely to pass through the intestines. The Pillcam® Endoscopy is a procedure that allows the doctor to look inside the small intestine. The Pillcam® is a capsule you will swallow that contains a miniature video camera.
During the Test
When you arrive the nurse will explain what will be done before, during and after the Agile Patency Capsule test. If you have any questions, please ask. You will swallow the Agile Patency Capsule with a glass of water.
Preparing for the Test
To ensure the best results for your Agile Patency Capsule test, follow these instructions carefully and completely.
The day before the Agile Patency Test
- After lunch the day before the Agile Patency Capsule test, you will begin a clear liquid diet. This includes fruit juices, broth, popsicles, jello, coffee, tea, etc.
- Do not eat or drink 10 hours before the Agile Patency Capsule test.
The day of the Agile Patency Test
- You may take your medicine with a small sip of water.
- If you are diabetic and take insulin, talk with the doctor who prescribes your insulin about reducing the dose the day of the exam.
- If you are diabetic, please bring your glucose meter, test strips and a source of fast-acting glucose with you (such as glucose tablets or glucose gel).
- Arrive for your appointment at the scheduled time.
- Please check in at Admissions and tell them you need to go the MIDC East.
- You will swallow the Agile Patency Capsule there.
After swallowing the Agile Patency Capsule
- You may drink liquids starting 2 hours after swallowing the Agile Patency capsule. This includes fruit juices, broth, popsicles, jello, coffee, tea, etc.
- You may have a light snack after 4 hours.
- Eight hours after ingesting the capsule you may continue with your normal diet.
- During the test, record the number of daily bowel movements on the attached Bowel Movement Activity Form. Bring the completed form when you return to MIDC East.
- Return to Radiology 24 hours after you ingest the Agile Patency Capsule to get an abdominal X-ray.
- If you develop unexplained nausea, abdominal pain or vomiting, contact MIDC East and your doctor right away.
Please check in at the Front Desk and tell them you need to go the MIDC East.
If you have questions or need to change or cancel the appointment, please call 303.270.2424.
This information has been approved by Miranda Y. Ku, M.D. and Renee Mondragon, RN, BSN (May 2013).