Industrial Hygiene Program
With more than 30 years of health and safety experience, the Industrial Hygiene Program at National Jewish Health is dedicated to the measurement and control of residential and workplace chemical and biological exposures. Our goal is to provide practical, evidence-based exposure consultation to improve the home and workplace environment. We specialize in providing customized and comprehensive programs that address specific industry needs as well as complex residential exposures. Our highly-trained and experienced staff works with clients to develop practical, cost-effective solutions.
By combining the Industrial Hygiene Program with our occupational, environmental, pulmonary, allergy and respiratory protection specialists, National Jewish Health has the expertise to provide you with comprehensive solutions that no other consultant or hospital can offer.
To schedule industrial hygiene services please call 303.398.1539 or e-mail Amy Ridder at RidderA@njhealth.org.
- Michael Van Dyke, PhD, CIH is a certified industrial hygienist who has been actively involved in occupational and environmental lung diseases, including both consulting and research. He has consulting experience in industrial and healthcare settings, and is experienced in state-of-the-art environmental monitoring methods.
- Kate Serrano, MPH, HHS is a Master’s level industrial hygienist with extensive experience in respiratory protection, noise, and indoor air quality. She has a special interest in residential indoor air quality and is a certified healthy homes specialist.
Industrial Hygiene Services
We work closely with clients to review and evaluate potential exposures. Our strength is our ability to work cooperatively with physicians to address complex chemical and biological exposures. National Jewish Health has extensive experience in providing comprehensive medical and industrial hygiene solutions in situations where current exposures may be causing worker or resident illnesses such as chronic beryllium disease, occupational asthma, bronchiolitis obliterans, and hypersensitivity pneumonitis. We also have specialized experience related to beryllium, flavoring chemical, atypical mycobacterium, methamphetamine, and mold/fungi exposures.
Environmental Monitoring and Sampling
We use the latest technology to measure chemical and biological exposures. Our inventory of in-house monitoring equipment allows us to perform large monitoring surveys in a time-efficient manner. We have unique capabilities for measuring exposure pathways using tracer gas methods and detailed particle size analyses using an aerodynamic particle sizer. Our close relationships with commercial environmental testing laboratories allow us to offer cost-effective sampling services.
Education and Training
We have an experienced training team that conducts training programs across the U.S. on a wide variety of occupational health and safety topics. We have received training grants from OSHA to develop training on topics such as beryllium health effects and exposure control and health effects and control of flavoring chemical exposure. All of our training programs have been developed to meet the needs of the adult learner and include hands-on or interactive training activities. We have established worker training programs meeting all OSHA standards for:
- General Respiratory Protection
- General Hazard Communication
- Use of Powered Air Purifying Respirators (PAPR)
- Use of Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Noise and Hearing Conservation
- Healthcare Worker Exposure to Airborne Infectious Agents
- First Responder Exposure to Clandestine Methamphetamine
- First Responder Exposure to Illegal Marijuana Grow Operations
- Beryllium Health Effects and Exposure Control
- Flavoring Chemical Health Effects and Exposure Control
These programs can be delivered at the worksite or we can arrange training at an offsite location. We specialize in developing customized training solutions to meet the needs of our clients. Our unique combination of medical and exposure professionals allows us to deliver training on complex topics at a level that can be understood by the average worker.
Hot Topics in Industrial Hygiene
The Industrial Hygiene Program at National Jewish Health specializes in providing consultation services and research for unique environments. Learn about some of our unique areas of research:
- Methamphetamine labs
- Indoor Air Quality