Pulmonary Physiology Research Support
Research and Technical Coordinator for Pulmonary Physiology Services:
Joyce Canterbury, MHA, RPFT, MEd.
Available as a resource for:
Information on pulmonary diagnostic testing
Assistance in setting up protocol to be used in PPS
Assistance in ordering process and scheduling of testing
Available for meeting with research monitors and providing information on quality control of equipment, supplying information on the meeting of ATS/ERS, AARC or protocol standards.
Learn more about Pulmonary Physiology Services (PPS).
Research Studies in PPS
The following describes the process of initiating and using the services of the PPS for clinical research.
1. Contact the Technical/Research Coordinator of Pulmonary Physiology Services to set up an appointment to discuss protocol to be followed for testing.
2. Bring a copy of the section of the protocol, which addresses pulmonary functions to be measured to the meeting. Additional information needed to ensure research protocol is accurately followed.
3. A PPS Research Template (see below) will be filled out.
A PPS identification code will be assigned for use in the PPU.
Name of the Principal Investigator (PI) and name and extension and pager number of the Coordinator.
Number and type of patients (e.g. 15 asthmatics and 15 controls) and the schedule of tests to be ordered.
Protocol to be used by techs when testing the patient with any special instructions.
Charges by NJ number, description and full dollar amount from the NJ Chargemaster will be listed. The rate will be discounted by the hospital information system if appropriate.
List where reports and/or raw data sheets to be sent.
A copy will be sent to the Principal Investigator and Research Coordinator for approval.
4. It is extremely important that if any changes are made to the protocol the Technical/Research Coordinator is informed. This will ensure all technologists will be notified and carry out the changes.
5. Notify the Technical/Research Coordinator when the study is completed.
6. One copy of all research being done in the PPS is kept in the Technical Research Coordinator’s Office an additional copy is in the PPS office.
7. It is critical that the PPS identification code is written on the PPU Request form and referred to when scheduling a patient by phone.
Any issues concerning the research are to be reported to the Technical/Research Coordinator.