4th International Symposium on Beryllium Particulates and Their Detection
Plans are underway for the 4th International Symposium on Beryllium Particulates and Their Detection to be held at The Molly Blank Center on the campus of National Jewish Health in Denver, CO beginning Monday afternoon, October 1, 2012, through Thursday, October 4, 2012.
- A hands-on sampler workshop will be held on the afternoon of Monday, October 1st
- Two days of platform & poster sessions and exposition (Tuesday-Wednesday, October 2-3)
- Topics include medical/epidemiological, sampling, laboratory analysis, statistics & data evaluation, research needs, workplace controls, and accreditation & regulatory issues
- Key speakers include, Lisa A. Maier, MD MSPH, Chief of the Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences at National Jewish Health, Dr. David Weissman, Director of Respiratory Disease Studies, NIOSH; Caroline Calvez, Beryllium Science and Technology Association, Brussels, Belgium; and Dr. Eberhard Nies, IFA, Germany
- A one-day meeting of the Beryllium Health and Safety Committee will be held on Thursday, October 4th
Call for Papers and Posters
The symposium is soliciting papers on topics in the general field of beryllium health and safety, including but not limited to the following:
- Workplace controls for the safe use of beryllium
- Medical and epidemiological research
- Workplace air and surface sampling
- Analysis of beryllium samples
- Statistics and data evaluation
- Research needs
- Accreditation and regulatory issues
Papers accepted for podium presentation will be scheduled for 25 minutes each (including time for questions from the audience). Please note that papers on work in progress, as well as completed work, will be considered.
Presenters will have the opportunity to publish their manuscripts in the Journal of Environmental Monitoring in accordance with their criteria for accepting manuscripts for publication. Submission of a manuscript, while not required, is encouraged. Further details will be provided to those whose abstracts are accepted for either podium or poster presentation.
Abstracts should be submitted no later than Tuesday, July 31, 2012.
To submit an abstract for a platform or poster session:
Download this document and complete the form.
Email to Mike Brisson, Symposium Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notice of acceptance will be provided via email by August 10, 2012.
Registration for exhibitors can be done on the same page as regular participant registration. If you cannot register online, please contact Carlos Rodriguez (email@example.com, 303.728.6587) to set up another arrangement. Exhibitor registration includes the following:
- Full registration to the entire symposium for one person, and exhibit-only registration for one additional person. Both are able to attend the evening reception on Tuesday, October 2nd.
- 6’ table with skirt and cover, 2 chairs, and a standard electrical outlet.
- Any additional exhibitors from the same vendor that desire exhibit-only registration can pay the student fee of $50 and will still be able to attend the evening reception on Tuesday, October 2nd.
A block of rooms has been put on hold at the Holiday Inn Select Denver-Cherry Creek. Please tell Reservations that you are with the Beryllium Group to attain the special $89/night rate. This hotel does offer complimentary shuttle service to and from National Jewish Health, but must be scheduled ahead of time as service is limited. The evening reception on Tuesday, October 2nd will be held at this hotel:
Holiday Inn Select Denver-Cherry Creek $89/night
455 South Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80246
We also have discounted rates at the following hotels that also offer complimentary shuttle service to and from National Jewish Health. Make sure to ask for the National Jewish Health rate when making your reservations.
Holiday Inn Denver-Stapleton $84/night
3333 Quebec Street
Denver, CO 80207
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Denver Downtown $99/night
685 Speer Boulevard
Denver, CO 80204
Please note that the shuttle service to and from National Jewish Health from these hotels is limited, so please schedule it in advance.
Parking on the National Jewish Health Campus
Attendees who plan to drive to the National Jewish campus will be allowed to park in the brand new Belleview Parking Lot. The entrance of the lot is located at the southeast corner of Colorado Boulevard and East 14th Avenue. The gates will be kept open for symposium attendees October 1st through 4th. We encourage everyone to carpool to the campus as you will still be sharing the Bellevue Parking Lot with National Jewish Health employees.
For more information on accommodations and parking, please contact:
For more information about the Symposium, please contact:
Sponsored by The Beryllium Health and Safety Committee