Your Responsibilities as a Patient
Provide Accurate and Complete Information:
- Provide complete and accurate information about your health to the best of your knowledge. Be honest and direct about aspects of your life that relate to your illness and your experience as a patient. The National Jewish Health healthcare team needs to know your opinions and concerns to provide you with the quality care.
- Notify National Jewish Health in advance, when possible, if you need an interpreter or have other special needs.
Learn About Your Diagnosis, Testing, and Treatment Plan:
- Ask questions if you do not understand. You may want to write down your questions before the visit to help you remember.
- Participate in individual and group patient education sessions. Read the information your healthcare team gives you. This will help you become familiar with your treatment plan.
- Learn about the medicines you are taking and learn about the equipment you will be using.
- Communicate with your healthcare team.
- Report any changes in your health to your doctor or nurse.
- Follow the treatment plan and be responsible for your actions if you refuse treatment.
- Be considerate of other patients and National Jewish Health personnel.
- Keep appointments, and notify National Jewish Health if you are unable to do so.
Follow the Rules and Regulations Affecting Patient Care:
- Avoid using perfumes or other strong-smelling personal products, such as colognes, lotions, etc. National Jewish requests the same thing of family members and visitors. Strong odors may cause some patients to have trouble breathing.
- National Jewish Health is a nonsmoking facility. Patients and their visitors are required to refrain from smoking while at National Jewish Health facilities.
- Be respectful of the property of other persons and the property of National Jewish Health.
- Do not bring weapons of any kind onto National Jewish Health property.
- Meet your financial responsibilities as outlined in the Payment Agreement signed during the admissions process.
- Meet with the Patient Financial Services staff before your appointment if you think you need financial assistance in paying your bill.