Many medications are available as inhaled treatments. Inhaled methods deliver medication directly to the airway, which is helpful for lung diseases. The patient and health care provider can choose from a variety of delivery systems for inhaling medication.
The Pressair™ device consists of a plastic device to inhale medication. The device is breath activated. This means when you inhale, the Pressair™ device automatically releases the medication. When inhaled correctly, the medication has a better chance to reach the small airways. This increases the medication's effectiveness. The portable size, efficiency and convenience make the Pressair™ device a desirable method for inhalation treatment.
The following steps outline the best method to use the Pressair™ device.
Preparing the Pressair™ for Use
Remove the protective cap by lightly squeezing the arrows marked on each side of the cap and pulling outward. Check to make sure nothing is blocking the mouthpiece.
Taking an Inhaled Treatment
- Hold the Pressair™ with the mouthpiece facing you – but not inside your mouth. The green button should be facing straight up.
- Before you put the inhaler into your mouth, press the green button all the way down.
- Release the green button. Do not continue to hold the green button. This will load the medicine, so you can inhale the medicine when you breathe in.
- Check the Control Window to make sure your dose is ready for you to inhale. Make sure the control window has changed from red to green.
- If the control window is green, the medicine is ready to inhale.
- If the control window is still red, press and release the green button again. Check the control window to make sure it has changed from red to green.
- Hold the Pressair™ away from your mouth and gently breathe out. Do not blow into the Pressair™.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece. Do not breathe out into the inhaler.
- Inhale rapidly and deeply. You will hear a “click” sound. Continue to take a full, deep breath in to make sure you get the full dose. Do not hold the green button down while you are breathing in.
- Take the Pressair™ out of your mouth.
- Resume normal breathing.
- Check the control window to see if it turned to red from green.
- If the window is red, you have inhaled your full dose of medicine.
- If the control window is still green, inhale again rapidly and deeply.
- If you are unable to inhale the medicine correctly after several tries, check with your health care provider.
- Keep the cover on the Pressair™ when not in use. This will help keep the Pressair™ clean and dry.
This information has been approved by Ann Mullen, Ann Mullen, RN, CNS, MSN, AE-C (March 2013).