Using a Neohaler®
Many medications are available as inhaled treatments. Inhaled methods deliver medication directly to the airways, which is helpful for lung diseases. The patient and health care provider can choose from a variety of delivery systems for inhaling medication.
A Neohaler® consists of a plastic device to inhale medication. A capsule of powdered medication is placed in the device. The Neohaler® is breath activated. This means when you inhale, the Neohaler® automatically releases the medication. When inhaled correctly, the medication has a better chance to reach the small airways. This increases the medication's effectiveness. The portable size, efficiency, and convenience make the Neohaler® a desirable method for inhalation treatment.
The following steps outline the best method to use a Neohaler®.
How to Assemble the Neohaler®
- Each capsule for the Neohaler® is individually wrapped. The wrapping is called a blister card. When you are ready to use the capsule, separate one blister pack from the blister card. Tear along the perforation to do this. Take the capsule out of the blister pack. To do this, find the corner of the blister pack. Peel back this corner of the blister pack to expose the foil. Push the capsule through the foil. Do not swallow the capsule.
- Pull off the cover of the Neohaler®.
- Open the inhaler of the Neohaler®.
- Hold the base of the Neohaler® and tilt the mouthpiece to open the inhaler.
- Place the capsule in the hole in the center of the Neohaler®.
- Close the inhaler. You will hear a click when the mouthpiece is closed.
- Leave the cover of the Neohaler® off.
How to Perform an Inhaled Treatment
- Hold the Neohaler® with the mouthpiece up. Press both buttons on the sides of the Neohaler® once firmly. This will pierce the capsule, so you can inhale the medication when you breathe in.
- Hold the Neohaler® away from your mouth and gently breathe out. Do not blow into the Neohaler®.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece. Hold the inhaler with the buttons to the left and right, not up and down.
- Inhale rapidly and deeply but a rate sufficient to hear the capsule vibrate. Continue to take a full, deep breath.
- Open the inhaler to see if there is still powder in the capsule. If there is powder in the capsule repeat the steps.
Taking an Inhaled Treatment
- Open the mouthpiece and throw away the used capsule.
- Keep the cover on the Neohaler® when not in use. This will help keep the Neohaler® clean and dry.
Note:This information is provided to you as an educational service of LUNG LINE. It is not meant to be a substitute for consulting with your own physician.
This information has been approved by
Ann Mullen, R.N., M.S., AE-C (June 2012).