Spicy Vegetable Soup
A healthy soup recipe for those in a hurry and with little time to cook.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1-3 teaspoons hot paprika, or to taste
- 28 ounces vegetable broth
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes*
- 1 & ½ cups green beans cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen spinach (5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil or prepared pesto
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add paprika and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add broth, tomatoes, squash, potatoes and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in spinach and vinegar; continue cooking until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes more. Ladle soup into bowls and top with fresh basil or pesto.
*Can substitute northern beans for potatoes in this recipe
This information has been approved by Clinical Nutrition
Services (February 2012). For specific diet information tailored to your
needs, we recommend you consult with one of our registered dietitians.