Fresh Salsa with Pita Chips
Try this low fat, cholesterol-free snack recipe at your next party or family gathering.
Calories per 4 chips and ¼ cup salsa: 100
Protein: 2.2 gm
Fat: 0.8 gm
Carbohydrate: 19.5 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Iron: 1.3 mg
Sodium: 102 mg
Calcium: 35 mg
- 1 ¼ cups chopped tomato
- 2 ½ Tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 (8-inch) pita bread rounds
Combine tomato, green onions, water, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno pepper and salt in a medium bowl; stir well.
- Cover and chill salsa at least one hour.
- Separate each pita bread into two rounds.
- Cut each round into four wedges, and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for seven minutes or until lightly browned.
This information has been approved by Clinical Nutrition Services (April 2008). For specific diet information tailored to your needs, we recommend you consult with one of our registered dietitians.