Herbed Pasta Primavera
A healthy source of carbohydrates, this pasta dish features multigrain or whole wheat noodles paired with zucchini and herbs.
- 1¾ cups dried multigrain or whole wheat penne pasta (8oz)
- 8 oz packaged peeled baby carrots, halved lengthwise (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- ½ cup sliced green onion or 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced ¼ inch thick (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Grated or finely shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Black pepper
- Cook penne according to package directions; drain. Return penne to hot saucepan; cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook and stir carrots in hot olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add green beans, green onion, broth, and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in squash. Simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 min or until veggies are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Toss vegetable mixture, basil and salt with penne.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
This information has been approved by Clinical Nutrition Services (June 2009). For specific diet information tailored to your needs, we recommend you consult with one of our registered dietitians.