Grilled Portabella Mushrooms
Try this delightful replacement for red meat on the grill—portabella mushrooms. Just as meaty and full of texture as a burger, but far healthier by being high in nutrients such as protein, thiamin, Vitamin B6, folate and fiber.
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 3/4 cup finely chopped mixed herbs, fresh, such as parsley, oregano, thyme, mint, and/or basil
- Three cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- Sliced white cheese, buns, jar of roasted red peppers (all optional)
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms.
- Brush, do not wash, the mushrooms.
- Mix the herbs, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and olive oil.
- Drizzle mixture over both sides of the mushroom caps.
- Let marinate, covered, in refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat a grill for 15 minutes on high.
- Place the mushrooms on the pre-heated grill and cook, turning once or twice, until dark brown and slightly soft, about eight minutes on each side.
- Slice the mushrooms on the diagonal into strips. Serve in your favorite salad, or don't slice and serve mushroom whole as a sandwich on a toasted bun with a slice of white cheese and roasted red peppers from the jar.
This information has been approved by Clinical Nutrition Services (May 2009). For specific diet information tailored to your needs, we recommend you consult with one of our registered dietitians.