Apple Salad in Butter Lettuce Leaves
Apples are a good source of fiber, and may help with heart disease, cholesterol, and weight loss. Combined with butter lettuce, this recipe will delight your taste buds.
- 5 or 6 medium Honey Crisp apples, or Red Delicious apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden yellow raisins
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (such as apricots, or pineapple).
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup lite mayonnaise
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Wash apples, (do not peel).
- Core apples and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Combine apples with celery, walnuts, raisins, dried fruit of your choice, and mayonnaise.
- Set aside in refrigerator to keep cool.
- Carefully separate and remove whole leaves of butter lettuce. Wash thoroughly, and dry.
- Place one leaf on plate and fill the leaf bowl with apple mixture.
This information has been approved by Clinical Nutrition Services (March 2010). For specific diet information tailored to your needs, we recommend you consult with one of our registered dietitians.