Skip to Content
Search All Programs & Services
Search by Name, Speciality, Program, or Research
Make a Donation
Make an Appointment
Ask a Question
Refer a Patient
Feeling sneezy or itchy? Check our daily pollen count to learn
what's in the air.
Health Information > Healthy Lifestyle > Healthy Homes > Mold
Molds are part of the natural environment and are similar to mushrooms and yeast but are much smaller.
You can only see or smell mold when there is a large quantity.
Mold can only grow and become a problem when there is excessive moisture.
Some children are sensitive or allergic to mold. For these children, breathing mold spores can make asthma symptoms worse.
The key to preventing mold is to control moisture within your home.
Clean up small areas of mold from hard surfaces using soap and water. Make sure you get plenty of ventilation in the area to get all surfaces dry as quickly as possible.
Throw away absorbent materials such as carpet or papers that have become moldy.
Ongoing actions to prevent excessive moisture will help prevent future mold issues. These actions include:
Venting the clothes dryer to the outside.
Opening windows or turning on exhaust fans when showering or cooking.
Eliminate the use of humidifiers or vaporizers in enclosed rooms in your home.
Quickly clean up any flooding or spills within one day.
Identify and repair leaky faucets and pipes.
Inspect and clean your rain gutters every fall. Make sure the downspouts extend at least three feet from the foundation of your home.
Make sure the ground around the outside of your house slopes away from the building foundation so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
Enter your email address to receive health tips, recent research findings and news about National Jewish Health.
1400 Jackson St Denver, CO 80206 1.877.225.5654 Network of Locations Contact Us
© 2014 National Jewish Health Policies & Guidelines | My National Jewish Health