Flovent® (fluticasone) comes as a metered-dose-inhale. You will swallow the spray from the metered-dose-inhaler. The spray is swallowed so it will coat the esophagus. This technique is different than the inhaled method used for asthma.
Directions to Follow:
- Remove the cap from the inhaler.
- Hold the inhaler with the mouthpiece at the bottom.
- Shake the inhaler. This mixes the medicine properly.
- Gently breathe out.
- Put the mouthpiece in your mouth, and close your lips around the mouthpiece.
- Hold your breath, press the inhaler and swallow.
- Do not breathe in until the medicine is swallowed.
- Wait 15 seconds, then repeat these steps if you instructed to take 2 puffs of the fluticasone.
- Replace the cap on the inhaler.
- Do not eat or drink anything for 30 minutes after taking the medicine. You may rinse your mouth and spit out the water or brush your teeth after you swallow the medicine, but do not swallow the water.
Continue taking this medicine until your doctor tells you it is no longer necessary. Ask your health care provider if you have any questions.
In general, this medicine is well tolerated. The main side effects can include a hoarse voice or sore throat. Some people develop a yeast infection (candida) of the mouth (thrush) or esophagus. If you notice white spots on your tongue or in your mouth, call your doctor. This can be treated with a short course of antibiotics. Rinsing your mouth and spitting out the water will also help prevent thrush.