J-1 Training and Exchange Visitors
J-1 visas are sponsored through the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at the University of Colorado Denver because National Jewish Health is not qualified to maintain our own "J-1 Program."
J-1 Sponsorship Timeframes
New J-1 visa – allow six weeks to process
Transfer of J-1 visa – allow six weeks to process
- Work Authorization can range from 6 months up to five years total
- Non-Clinical only – no patient care allowed
- May be subject to a "home residency requirement" - must return to home country for at least two years when finished
- Dependents are issued J-2 visas and may request work authorization once they arrive in the U.S.
Checklist Requesting a J-1 Visa (pdf)
H-1B – Professional
Sponsorship is by National Jewish Health but the petitions facilitated through the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at the University of Colorado Denver.
H-1B Sponsorship Timeframes
Regular Processing – allow up to four months
"Premium Processing" – allow one month ($1000 additional fee is required)
- Work Authorization for maximum of three years at a time for up to six years total
- Additional extensions allowed under certain circumstances
- May be used for MD's with patient care
- Dependents are issued H-4 visas and are not permitted to work in that status
Checklist For Requesting an H-1B Visa (pdf)